Tuesday, August 23, 2011

longing

for two weeks in the philippines I'd wake just after 5am when the four older girls across the hall would wake up and make a racket as they started their chores. sometime between six and seven I'd go downstairs and see sweet lydia in the kitchen working on the meals for the day. she'd smile at me as I'd put my toast in the toaster instead of eating their usual rice for every meal. I'd say hello, smile, and she'd smile back. often she'd even bring me sweet delicious mangoes.

then I'd go check on the toddlers. sometimes they'd need a shower, other times help putting on their shoes for school, other times they'd still be running around naked and we'd have to chase them down. around eight we'd walk them across the field to school. little john carlo would always freak out if he didn't have someone's hand to grasp, and I loved when it was mine.

for lunch and dinner every day, every meal, it was chicken at rice. this was a given. rice, rice, rice. erin and I were always given a ginormous plate of it and never even finished a third of it. but we'd eat at our own separate table behind all the other kids because that's where they placed us. after a few days they'd give us coke at dinner as well, which was a lovely treat.

the kids got home from school at 4 every day. they'd play outside, do their homework or their chores, sometimes we'd color with them or push them on the swing. they just need love. hugs. lots of hugs. they need people to care for them, just like we all do.

after dinner we'd help with the toddlers again with the impossible task of putting them to bed. they'd be all fine and cuddly with you until 8 rolled around and you actually physically put them into their beds. that was always the least fun part. they'd cry and whine and throw fits and run all over the place. eventually we'd just have to leave the room because we were more of a distraction than help.

each day was like this. i knew what was coming and what i'd eat. i knew i could ask to go into town if i needed to or could take a nap when i needed a break. no cell phone or internet. it was delightful.

now, back in the states, how does this way of living transfer over? can life ever be simple here? my heart found some sort of mysterious, deep rest in the philippines that hasn't died yet. but it's wondering how to settle down here in my 'normal life.' I've started a new job and go back to school next week, so the task to maintain this inner rest is daunting. but it's there, whispering to me that it's possible, that it can be. my therapist said today that she felt that I was more home within myself than I have been before, and I actually told her that it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment